Wednesday, February 9, 2011

About This Blog

I am a Mass Communication major. I get angry about American society a lot. Thus, this blog was born.

I got into Mass Communications after I started getting into filming and editing videos. I may have been "Undecided" in my college career at that time, but I was taking English and Communication courses. After realizing the potential of my videos and an education in Mass Communication, I changed my major to such after transferring to Indiana University South Bend.

The problem with getting an education in the 'fine' media that floods the United States of America is that I learn about the ugly truths behind advertising, propaganda and politics. This makes me upset. I want other people to know about the corruption and injustices in hopes of making them angry like me. The point of this anger is to then ultimately do something about the system. Maybe not a revolution... but something.

I also recognize that college usually has this profound effect on people my age, that it is normal to feel and act this way. But I don't feel that such a fact makes this any less important.

Aside from communications, I'm also big on reuse (a better alternative to recycling) and dabbling in nutrition (I get upset about our food in this country, too). I may occasionally post about the evils of sugar or about some sweet and cheap clothes I got from Salvation Army. In my brain, it is all related to one another.

So, if the Communication Arts is your thing, or you get upset about the state of the world, or if you're similar to me, I am confident that this blog is the place for you.

Oh, yeah: I like Pokemon, too.

2 comments:

  1. I share your feelings on the blindness upheld by the general public in regards to advertising methods. Learning that there is an art to manipulation and persuasion is exciting stuff, but realizing that not everyone is privy to that information is appalling. I believe that there should be a high school curriculum, even middle school, that addresses the techniques utilized by modern advertisers. This would help to prepare the younger generations and those not eventually involved in mass media to derive the underlying meaning of advertisements. It could lead to a shift in the way advertising takes place, for everyone could discern the truth from advertising instead of a select few. Companies would have to tackle the promoting of their products utilizing new, less manipulative methods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent topic! As a New Media major, I will have to come to terms with the traditional marketing mechanisms in place in the business world, versus those that I feel should actually exist. It ticks me off how certain methods of marketing are acceptable in the public eye and guised behind free speech. In our world of scarce resources we have to be smart about reuse as well. Thanx for addres-sing these topics.

    ReplyDelete